Podcasting: 3 Reasons You Should Have a Podcast
Do you know what one of the most powerful words in marketing online and offline is? The word is “Easy.” It is used for good marketing and for evil marketing because it is so powerful.
I’m going to use it here because Podcasting is easy.
Like me, you will have to learn something to make your podcast. Nonetheless, compared to any other kind of marketing and traffic generation online, podcasting is easy.
You are always told to make videos, and many believe that making one or two videos will somehow get you a miraculous jump to the #1 ranking in Google and suddenly build you a big list.
If you’ve tried this, how did it work out for you?
Making videos is not easy. At least making videos that get people to take action is not easy. It is something you should be doing in your marketing, but it takes time to get results and automated methods of distribution are not free (at least not the ones that work).
On the other hand, Podcasting is easy. At least when compared to making videos. Once the channels are set up, the traffic is the closest thing to actually be free that there is (no traffic is actually free, not even affiliate traffic).
The answer can summarized very succinctly:
- It is the easiest content to create – much easier than, for instance, making this blog post
- It can automatically be distributed to a huge and growing audience
- It is the easiest, most direct method for building a following of true fans
- It will build your list without you doing anything but talking
Why People Won’t Podcast
Most new marketers have the same excuses for not podcasting as they do for not making videos…
- It’s too hard
- I don’t know what to say
- Too much competition
- No one will be interested
All of these things are correct and all of these things above are wrong. How can I say that?
Because if you believe these things above, then you won’t ever make a podcast and you will be passing up a stream of endless fans that will follow you for years to come. It will be your loss.
On the other hand, if you understand that, in fact, those 4 bullets above are wrong, then you will succeed at podcasting.
The Facts About Podcasting
Here are the facts about podcasting that most people ignore because of the reasons they invent to not podcast…
- It is the fastest, and cheapest way to reach a global audience in any market
- The audience listening to podcasts grows by about 500,000 people every day (this is just on iTunes)
- Podcasts are built into new automobiles
- You don’t need special equipment
- You don’t need a studio
- Free software exist to make high quality recordings
- 25% of all Americans listen to podcasts (just one example)
- Podcast listeners are more affluent then the general marketplace in any niche
- Apple has over 1 billion podcast subscribers (and this is just one place people go)
The facts are not disputable, while the beliefs are just beliefs. So which is going to guide you and choices for getting your business exposed, and building your marketing audience: facts or beliefs?
Getting Started in Podcasting
The solution to getting started in podcasting is simple. You likely already have the tools you need to make your first show…
- Audio software – free, Audacity
- A computer microphone
- Know your markets wants and needs
- A mouth
The one aspect of podcasting that has been a little complicated has been creating show pages and syndication of your episodes.
That has all changed with the introduction of Audello. Now having a highly capable platform for creating, and distributing your show and its pages has been solved.
I use Audello, and highly recommend you do the same.
International speaker, author, and entrepreneur. Retired navy officer, former commanding officer. Over 35 years of leading, coaching, mentoring, and speaking.